Judicial Separation

Cosgrove Gaynard Solicitors

When parties cannot reach agreement as to the terms by which they will separate, then an application to court is required for a judicial separation.


When parties cannot reach agreement as to the terms by which they will separate, then an application to court is required for a judicial separation.

As is the case in all family law matters, a judicial separation case is heard in camera ( in private) and is brought in either the Circuit Court or the High Court depending on the assets of the individuals involved.

A judicial separation decree confirms that a couple no longer live together as a married couple but the court can also rule on access, custody, maintenance, property , succession rights, pensions etc as part of the application.

Under current legislation there are six grounds for an application to court for a judicial separation:

  1. The respondent has committed adultery
  2. The respondent has behaved in a manner in which you cannot reasonably be expected to live with them .
  3. The respondent has deserted for a continuous period of one year
  4. The couple has lived apart for a period of over one year and the respondent consents to the application.
  5. The couple have lived apart for a period of over 3 years
  6. The marriage has broken down to the extent that the court is satisfied that a normal marital relationship has not existed for a period of one year

Once it is established that one of these grounds exist the court will also look to be satisfied that the couple have been advised regarding counselling and mediation as an alternative and that proper provision has been made by all dependents. In particular the welfare of any children are of utmost concern to the court.

One question we are often asked by clients is : Why Judicial separation instead of a divorce?. To apply for a divorce, you must be separated for four out of the previous five years and so a judicial separation allows you to put arrangements in place until that timeframe has been met.

All news
Norwich Pharmacal Orders Ireland - Google, Coinbase, Twitter, Facebook

A Norwich Pharmacal Order is a legal order that is used to compel an innocent third party to disclose information about another party who is involved in some form of malfeasance. Norwich Pharmacal Orders are becoming a common legal tactic to stifle online trolls on social media, as well as trace anonymous individuals online

Text Link
Pre controlled function roles for VASP applications

If you are a VASP in Ireland, you will need to register with the Central Bank for AML/CFT purposes. If you are a firm that is not established in Ireland, or you are not conducting business as a VASP before the 2021 Act was brought in, then you must be registered with the Central Bank before any services commence. As part of the regulation of VASPs with the Central Bank of Ireland, individuals holding pre-approval controlled functions within a VASP must be approved under the latest fitness and probity regime of the Central Bank.

Text Link

Digital inheritance is a new term that is becoming more widespread across the globe in relation to the transfer of digital assets in a broad sense. There is a completely new "digital asset" that has been created in terms of cryptocurrencies and therefore with that, inheritance queries follow.

Text Link
Why choose Ireland as a location for payment institutions

Ireland has slowly but surely established itself as an alluring destination for businesses in the Fintech sector.‍ From a solid regulatory framework to an advanced financial services ecosystem, Ireland’s financial technology sector is booming right now and is home to a surprising number of reputable domestic and international payment institutions. Let's take a closer look at the reasons behind this below.‍

Text Link