5 steps to speed up the sale of your property in Ireland

Cosgrove Gaynard Solicitors

If you want to sell your house quickly, there are a number of items you can prepare, prior to going sale agreed, which will speed matters up substantially.

How to speed up the sale of your property

If you want to sell your house quickly, you need to do more than just engaging a real estate agent. There are a number of items you can prepare, prior to going sale agreed, which will speed matters up substantially.

Here are 5 steps to take to speed up the sale of your property as a vendor:

1. Appoint a solicitor before going sale agreed.

This may sound standard but a lot of vendors do not think of the legals until they are actually sale agreed which slows matters down. If you appoint your solicitor early, they will be able to take up your title deeds from the bank, confirm if there are any items required and prepare contracts so that once you are sale agreed, they can issue immediately. This process in itself can save 2/ 3 weeks of a delay.

2. Building Energy Rating Certificate

You are legally required to present a BER certificate before you start the selling process. Again ordering this in good time saves on any delay.

3. NPPR Discharge or Exemption Certificate

The government introduced a €200 yearly charge on non-principal private residences to be paid to the local authorities for the years 2009 - 2013. on the sale of every residential property, a certificate of exemption or discharge is required. Again it is worth applying for this certificate early so that it does not cause a delay. A purchasers solicitor will always insist on this certificate as the tax is a charge on the property .

4. Local property tax

This tax is charged based on the market value of your property. Again as LPT is a charge on a property, a purchasers solicitor will insist on viewing an LPT printout to show the tax has been paid for all of the relevant years. This printout will also should that the household charge (a tax that preceded LPT) is also paid.

5. Planning documentation

To sell a house, you need to prove that it was built in compliance with planning permission and building regulations. Generally speaking, the planning documentation relating to the construction of your property should be held with the title deeds. However if you have carried out any alterations since purchasing the property, you will need to obtain architects certificates to confirm these works were exempt or in compliance with the planning permission issued.

All news
Virtual Asset Service Providers ( VASP ) - the Central Bank registration process

The Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) (Amendment) Act 2021 was enacted on the 23rd April 2021. This piece of legislation transposed the EUs Fifth Anti-Money Laundering Directive (5AMLD) into Irish law. In terms of virtual asset service providers, more commonly referred to as VASP's, this means that they are now required to comply with Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT)obligations and must register with the Central Bank.

Text Link
NFT's and the law

Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are really taking off in mainstream markets. An NFT is, essentially, a digital collectible. They can represent things, like real-world assets, or they can be things in themselves, like music or art. Their value comes from the fact that they are digitally unique. They exist on a blockchain and, whilst music as an example can be downloaded by anyone, an NFT is explicitly recorded as having a single owner.

Text Link
Planning permission disputes - planning injunctions

Planning injunctions. We at Cosgrove Gaynard Solicitors have been involved in many such applications on behalf of clients. In addition, we have recently succeeded in having an interim order removed in circumstances where it was preventing our clients from completing a development to their property for an inordinate amount of time.

Text Link
Questions to ask your property solicitor when looking for a quotation

Conveyancing Quotation - Questions to ask your Property solicitor‍. Purchasers are understandably price conscious and so often shop around for quotations when buying a home.

Text Link
Understanding the new proposed EU framework for cryptocurrency regulation

As part of the Digital Finance Package released regarding cryptocurrencies in Europe ,it is proposed to regulate crypto assets and markets in crypto assets (MiCA) and to provide definitions of crypto assets and token subcategories. It will also set out rules for digital asset custody and capital requirements.

Text Link
Fintech law - a review of smart contracts in Ireland

A smart contract is a legally binding contract that automatically executes some or all of its obligations via a computer program. In this blog, we look at smart contracts and consider how they fit into Irish law.

Text Link